On 1 November 1930, P.W. van Doorne opened his practice in the heart of Amsterdam on Keizersgracht 648. He began by taking on pro bono cases. The practice prospered and needed larger accommodation. The firm was relocated to the first storey of the building at Herengracht 581, where the firm would remain for 40 years.
The first merger took place in January 1945, with the practice of E.J. Korthals Altes Jr. After World War II, Van Doorne and Korthals Altes joined forces to rebuild their dormant practice. From 1951 to 1955, Van Doorne was Dean (chairman) of the Amsterdam and, later, Dutch Bar Association. His talent of ‘reconciling the seemingly irreconcilable’ was noticed. The firm thrived and the 10,000th case was recorded on the day that Van Doorne celebrated his 40th year as a lawyer. It was time to adopt a name for the law firm: ‘Advocatenkantoor Van Doorne’.
On 15 July 1971, Van Doorne and Warendorf & Scheltema merged and continued their practice as Van Doorne & Warendorf.
From January 1991 to January 2001, the firm operated under the name Trenité van Doorne.
Van Doorne Amsterdam merged with Landwell in 2004 and changed its corporate status to a public limited company.
Over the years, quality, focus, flexibility and - last but not least - commitment have been some of the characteristics typifying Van Doorne.